Friday, November 20, 2009

Family gravesites in Calvary Cemetery, St. Paul, MN, Sept./Oct.09

After the trip to the St. Wenceslaus Cemetery in New Prague, the next step closer to home was Calvary Cemetery in St. Paul, where I knew my great-grandparents and grandparents were buried. As it turned out, five of my grandfather's siblings were also buried there. Many of the stones were almost completely obscured with dirt and sod, so it took a fair amount of digging and cleaning to get them clearly visible again.



My great-grandparents, Jan (John) Trnka and Alzbeta Hanzl (Elizabeth Hanzel)



John's stone

Elizabeth's stone

John and Elizabeth's daughter, Mary, 19 August 1870 to 30 March 1913, my grandfather's sister

My grandparents and aunt

My grandfather

My grandmother

My father's sister

My grandfather's sister, Rosalia (Rose) and her husband, John Matschi





John and Rose's stones

John's father? Anna Matschi, 1851-1944, and Albert Matschi, 1877-1933, are also buried here with no markers. John Matschi's mother and brother?

My grandfather's brother

John's wife (don't know her maiden name)

Amelia Trnka photo from 3rd floor CSPS Hall

John and Amelia's daughter

My grandfather's sister, Elizabeth Trnka. Her husband, Paul Steingruebl, 1881-1943, is buried next to her in an unmarked grave.

My grandfather's sister, Barbara Trnka. Her husband, Michael Pikal, 1877-1955, is buried quite a distance from her in an unmarked grave.



The Cemetery Office across the street, where burial location information is available.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Frank,

    My name is Paul Matschi and I am the grandson of Rose and John. I live in Lake Elmo, MN and would love to connect with you sometime regarding the family history.

    Regards, Paul Albert Matschi (age 48)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Frank,

    Just checking in to see how you are doing.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete