Friday, November 20, 2009

August 22, 2009 - Bethlehem Museum and Hradec Králové

Today's outings included the Bethlehem Museum in Třebechovice. Wasn't sure what to expect. The main display was the world's largest animated wooden creche scene - about 12 feet wide and 7 feet high and deep with 7 levels of hand carved figures that did various things like chopping wood, weaving, a full brass band playing, etc.

Left side of large creche scene

The rest of the museum was about some of the technology involved in creating scenes like this with views behind and underneath, and some smaller examples, including one that had a farmer knocking out a cow with a sledge hammer - not one of the things I would associate with a creche scene.

More on the Bethlehem Museum, Třebechovice

The afternoon was spent in Hradec Králové, a medium sized town with a branch of Charles University. We had a couple of hours at a large shopping mall, where I was able to complete some of my delayed shopping.

There were some near mishaps before the shopping was completed. The first was buying two DVDs from a remainder bin at Tesco with were supposed to be about five dollars each. When I paid my bill and was looking at the receipt, one had rung up as sixty dollars and the other about fifteen. Since I had only purchased them because they were cheap, I had to go through the return process to get a refund. Then, at the Czech version of Best Buy, I found the DVD I was looking for, but wasn't sure if it was a rental or purchase item. They had to track down a manager who spoke English to clarify that it was available for purchase for forty dollars. When I got my receipt, it turned out to be a Blue-Ray disc, but fortunately they also had the DVD, which was only fifteen dollars. So disaster was averted and I ended up with what I wanted after all.

Statue in Hradec Králové Museum

Hradec Králové Museum entrance with mini statue on right side

Then we toured the city museum which had some neat Art Deco displays and later took a walking tour of the very beautiful old city center, and climbed the White Tower which had 240 steps and a great view of the old city.

The White Tower

View of the Square from the White Tower

About halfway back down, one of my knees started hurting, but that went away soon after reaching the ground. I was also glad that the gigantic bell in the tower was not being used for the quarter hour town bell ringing, as it would have been very stunning to be on the stairs in the tower when the bell rang!

More on Hradec Králové

No comments:

Post a Comment