Friday, November 20, 2009

July 27, 2009 - Bagpipes and a family recipe?

Had the first of the seven "must try" Budvar beer varieties not available in the U.S. at dinner tonight - an incredibly smooth "yeast beer" - yummm! Had a traditional "pickled sausage" as an appetizer, followed by a really tender quarter duck with red cabbage and BOTH potato and bread dumplings! I had never seen potato dumplings outside of the recipe my father brought with him into his marriage to my mother, which we called simply "Trnka dumplings." This was another cultural bridge that brought back lots of memories. It appears I will be eating a lot of cabbage in the next weeks!

One big bummer tonight was that earlier I walked by the tourist office in České Budějovice at 6:45 and there was a sign out front saying that the Strakonice bagpipe band was performing in town at 6:00 at a location I couldn't identify. The tourist office was also closed! Strakonice is the "bagpipe town" where I will be staying in two nights. I was hoping to find a concert there, but was not expecting one might just fall in my lap in this town! But, not having had lunch today and with the language barrier, I decided to go have dinner (assuming the concert would be over before I found it) and wait until I have a guide to look more into bagpipe possibilities.

More on České Budějovice

No comments:

Post a Comment