Friday, November 20, 2009

August 6, 2009 - Bridge of the Generations?

There has been a marked division between the older generation of attenders here who tend to be very earnest, serious about their Czech and go to bed early. By default, I have been part of this group. There is also a younger group of attenders who may still be serious about their Czech, but tend to stay up very late with rather rowdy parties, somewhat to the "tolerant" annoyance of the older attenders, who are sometimes awakened in the night by the noise. Yesterday during our outing I was approached and befriended by one of the rowdy set and later that evening invited to stop by his room (after I had finished my homework of course!) This turned out to be a group of about 15, and my rite of passage was downing a glass of homemade Serbian Slivovice with many cautionary warnings about how strong it was. [Apparently I look a bit of an innocent to these youngins.] Having only had the variety available in stores in the US before, this was a rare treat that I wasn't expecting to be able to have on this trip. I had heard about the superiority of most home-brewed Slivovice. The Serbian student's family only makes this for their personal consumption, not to sell, and it was very pleasant indeed! The welcome I received was warm and surprising to me, as though the young people were waiting for someone older who would be interested in them.


I left after about an hour and a half, but was not the first to leave. Apparently the party continued until about 4 or 5 a.m., but I was not expected to stay that long, and in class this morning, I was included in the group who had reason to be tired during class! Not sure where this will all lead, but I do know I can't stay up late every night.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Frank. I found your blog via an email from Dave Rich. Are you connected to PPUMC in some way? I used to be a member there. I have a pen pal in Plzen (we've been writing since 1990). I'm not Czech, but I'm interested in your blog and will be following your adventures. How long will you be there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Carol,

    I was interim organist at PPUMC this past year. Will be in the Czech Republic for 3 more weeks.

    ReplyDelete