Friday, November 20, 2009

August 12, 2009 - Prague: Senate and shopping

Left at 8:00 a.m. this morning for Prague and just got back at 8:30 p.m. Very glad I got my homework done yesterday.

In the Senate

Our whole group was invited to tour the Senate building and meet with the chair and vice-chair of the Senate committee on compatriot relations, which is responsible for the program at Dobruška. This involved bringing our passports and going through a metal detector security clearance. The building is 400 years old and for once we were welcome to take pictures, so I made up for the castles I wasn't able to photograph before.

Part of 400-year-old Senate Building

More on the Czech Senate building

Then we had several hours of free time which I used to work on needed shopping, trying to avoid having to fit all my Prague shopping into the last afternoon before my return trip to the US. Was somewhat successful, but finding very specific older things in an unfamiliar city was expectedly a little frustrating. My quest for older CDs of folk music and films that may or may not have been transferred to DVD by now was not productive. I may need to try on-line shopping or seeing if some of the stores in Dobruška can order things and get them to me in the next couple of weeks. I did find the really good Czech English dictionary for half the price it would be in the US, but of course this adds about 10 pounds to my return luggage!

Wenceslaus Square





P.S. Judy, I did find the first Harry Potter book and DVD in Czech for you.

More on Pražský hrad (Prague Castle)

More on Malá Strana (Lesser Town)

More on Karlův most (Charles Bridge)

More on Staré Město (Old Town)

More on Nové Město (New Town)

No comments:

Post a Comment