Saturday, March 14, 2015

August 8, 2014 - Domažlice - Festival, Day One


My third time at my favorite lunch spot. Feels like what my Czech grandmother would have served, if I'd had a Czech grandmother, instead of a Czech grandfather. It's not just the desserts (Wednesday's was apricot not blueberry), but everything just seems homemade. They're only open for lunch. Husband waits tables, wife and mother cook, daughter is here from London to help out during the festival. He was mortified that my coffee cream had soured. I was grateful that they served cream capable of souring!



Glad to have brought some business cards for the St. Paul South Bohemian Bagpipe Ensemble, as the photo helps a lot to explain what I'm doing here.





Recipe for Chodské kolače


A little bummed that the National Folksong Museum is closed for renovation, but the regional museum is open and is reputed to have a display of a traditional Chodsko wedding, which should be pretty interesting!


Chodsko Museum


















































Some museum-quality cabinetry for son Jeremy.



















I climbed the castle tower, which fortunately had handrails and no crowds today. Rewarded myself with a preventative Ibuprofen afterwards!















The town has been filling up all day. Opening of the festival is in 2 hours. Short line for the Bankomat today, but glad to not need it tomorrow! Also glad to have gotten myself oriented to the town the last few days while it was still a sleepy little town!

The festival opening - introducing some of the visiting performers. Each got to play 3 pieces.



The masters performed (l-r) below:

2 Vlastimil Konrády
3 Václav Švik
4 Antonin Konrády
6 Zdeněk Bláha



























Headed over to a showing of old films of famous singers and pipers from the region. Saw a person who looked familiar - it was Neil, the Northumbrian small pipe player from Call of Dudy! So I introduced myself, we had a good chat (in English) and he joined me for the movies! It really is a small world!

No comments:

Post a Comment