Saturday, March 14, 2015

August 11, 2014 – Domažlice to Brno


Final breakfast in Domazlice. Two small (4") Chodsko kolache.


Sorry this is a little blurry, as I took it too quickly. This woman was in the seat across from me on the train. I was captivated by her face, which to me was a testimony to what the elder generation of Czech people endured through the nazi and communist years.


Why travel days are stressful:

Had an express train from Domažlice to Prague, 70 minutes to make a connection from Prague to Brno. Seemed simple enough.

Had a 20 minute walk from the pension to the train station. Fiercely threatening sky, so I left in plenty of time in case I needed to shelter in a pub until a downpour passed over. Found the train station after asking pedestrians for help at 3 forks in the road. With the weather, I really didn't want to get lost! Got my ticket and even confirmed I was eligible for the 25% senior discount! So had an hour and twenty minute wait for the train, but thought the challenges were over!

Turns out we waited 90 minutes for the very late train, only to be told it is not coming at all, so we are now on the non-express train to Plzen. Not sure if we will need to transfer there, or if this train continues on to Prague? But a young man also going to Prague is taking me under wing to make sure I get there. And fortunately the train has wi-fi so I was able to e- mail Lucie, so she knows I will not be on the train she was expecting me on!

Well, it turns out only the first of the four trains today had wireless access. The substitute train only took us part way to Plzen. Then, for some reason, we all had to get off and load onto another train for the last ten minutes to Plzen. And no sign of the young man who was going to take me under wing! [Am I in a Kafka story?]

At Plzen we had to rush to another packed train, where I was initially thinking I would have to stand, and there was no overhead room for either of my two large bags. But I got a middle seat and people accommodated my large bags around us. That train at least got us to Prague.

We arrived at 5 p.m. I had missed my first and second possible connections, but there was still one left leaving in 30 minutes. So I had a chance to pay $1 to pee and happened upon a natural foods deli where I grabbed an organic plum juice, a sandwich with un-recognizable ingredients, and some fair trade chocolate cookies. First food since 8 a.m.

The train to Brno was not as full. I was anxious about not being able to e-mail Lucie to let her know my arrival time, but fortunately, she kept track of the arrivals and just stayed at the station until I finally arrived. She was pretty frantic, as she had not gotten my e-mail from the first train and didn't know where I might be or when to expect me. Fortunately, she waited at the station and looked for me on each train until I arrived 90 minutes late - very nerve-
racking for her! Was very good to see her when I got there! Glad to not be on my own for the time being!

It was 8 p.m. when I finally made it to Brno. Four trains, instead of two. A very long travel day. I think I will sleep well at Lucie and Martin's tonight! And be glad for their English language skills!

No comments:

Post a Comment