Saturday, March 14, 2015

August 15, 2014 – Brno to Veselí nad Lužnicí


Lucie and Martin were both busy today, so Martin dropped me off at the train station this morning with directions and tram tickets for exploring the city on the trams and on foot. This being a travel day, I got my train ticket, checked the schedule and instead, took an earlier train to Veselí nad Lužnicí so I could get to the hotel early, drop off my bag, get laundry done, and then explore Veseli until meeting the relatives this evening. After the challenging trip from Domazlice to Brno, this seemed like a much less stressful option!

I am now happily in my hotel room in Veselí nad Lužnicí, and will be meeting some of the relatives this evening.


This was an interesting school building I passed on my walk from the train station to the hotel.





Laundry day on the road and view from my hotel room balcony in Veseli. I was here with a guide/translator in 2009 on my first full day in the Czech Republic. This is the town were my great-great-grandparents were married. Their home and my main Trnka/Malecha ancestral village, Sviny, is 6 km to the west. I'll be going there for the second time with relatives tomorrow.



  
Spent a fierce downpour in the Blata museum a couple of blocks from my hotel. Blata is the name of this region of South Bohemia, and the area has distinctive folk costumes (kroje).


































More inlaid cabinetry and a painting of interest to some?
























Tonight's Czech foodie photo - pork schnitzel with potatoes with onions and ham, traditional pub food.

A walk around Veselí nad Lužnicí with my host for the evening, Michal Sladek.





Passed my "waterman" test this evening. Five beers in the time my host had four, and I wasn't the first who needed to pee. He commented that I seemed to be getting used to being in the Czech Republic!

No comments:

Post a Comment