Saturday, March 14, 2015

August 7, 2014 - Domažlice - Bagpipe Workshop, Day Two


I survived my two days of classes, learned a lot, played my solo at the concluding performance, as well as the group numbers we all did together – 13 dudy players playing together – triple the number of players in the whole U.S. That was a big thrill for me!

The photo is of Josef Kuneš and a couple of students (
Bára Holakovská and Albert Albí Kříž) from class today.


At 6:00 p.m. today I officially changed from bagpipe student to tourist. Class and performance are finished. A good feeling, as it was another intense day, but went very well.

At class this morning I was again the first performer. Josef Kuneš then tried my bagpipe and said he would call the maker in his professional role as head of the bagpipe school and tell him what changes needed to be made in the pipes for them to work better for me. Will see if this happens?

The rest of the folks played, including some duets and repeat performers. I had initially said I didn't want another turn, but realized that not everything that was done today was from memory, so I did a couple pieces from my iPad - Dudačka and Zelený Hájové, which were much more difficult than the first piece I'd played. I got some very helpful advice on traditional arrangements for the particular instruments in our local band, but nothing we can fix before our September performances! [To
 Sue Martin - need to use last names here - for voice and dudy, voice takes melody, dudy goes a third below. If no singer, dudy takes melody, violin or clarinet go a 6th above. Some of our arrangements are like this, but not Zeleny Hajove, which I know neither of us would want to switch parts on for September.]

He then pulled out 5 pages of exercises which he said covered all the necessary technical skills needed to play well - to be worked on from slow to as fast as possible. That and work on long steady tones until they become automatic. As it turned out these were the exact pages I had been working on in preparation for the workshop! So at least it affirms that I know what I need to do, and just need to find the time!

This was a 3 1/2 hour session, including a mass rehearsal of both the beginning and advanced classes together for the afternoon performance. Break for a quick group lunch, then we walked to the location for the performance - chairs set up outside at a senior citizens home.

It was clear that performing for the elderly was considered a big deal. While we were getting ready to perform, 5 of the legendary elder pipers showed up and they were going to perform after us. For this region, this was the equivalent of having Pete Seeger, Peter, Paul and Mary, and Bob Dylan all show up to perform. So we represented the upcoming performers, and then the old masters performed as the bearers of tradition!

I was in about the middle of the 12 performers, and again it was a big deal that I was here from America and mention was made of my ancestral region. I was required to introduce myself, my home, how long I'd been studying and what piece I was playing all in Czech! I had had some coaching on a couple of words I didn't know, but that went fine. My classmates were quite surprised that I played better there than I had in class - partly, I think, because I am getting used to the new instrument, but also because I had performed the more difficult pieces for Josef Kuneš, so this seemed relatively easier.

We finished with the 3 mass pieces played by 12 pipers, with me singing the 2 Czech songs, and the teacher watching my mouth and fingers to see if I was really doing it!

Then was the "traditional" going out for ice cream at the end of the workshop. Both the woman who had been translating for me and myself were exhausted - her from translating and me from being surrounded for two days with people speaking about something important to me, but using words I mostly didn't understand. People were very welcoming and friendly, but for the most part we couldn't communicate without the translator present.

So I came back to the room to be an introvert for awhile, then go out and get some dinner, and then will veg out tonight with no alarm tomorrow morning. Festival things don't start until evening tomorrow, so I can do some touristy things as the town starts to fill up. Will be nice to know I don't need to be "on" tomorrow!

There were about 20 of us at lunch today with a time crunch to get back to be ready to head to the performance, so the wait person suggested it would go more quickly if most of us ordered the same thing - show of hands - how many want chicken cutlet? American fries? I recognized the Czech for this and said I had not come all this way to eat American fries, which, when translated, caused lots of amusement, including for the wait staff. They found me a Czech substitute!

In class this morning, Kamil Jindřich, another member of Domažlice Dudácká Muzika, came to welcome us in his role as director of the cultural center. Sue Martin may remember what this meant to me?

Having dinner outdoors on the mall, both Josef Kuneš and Kamil passed by separately, but going in the same direction, probably off to rehearsal somewhere.

There was also live music on the square tonight, perhaps making use of the stage that is already set up for the festival? [Turned out to be a dress rehearsal for Josef Kuneš' oratorio, Markéta, which was performed Saturday evening.]

No comments:

Post a Comment