Thursday, September 14, 2017

July 3, 2017 - Brno


Exploring my new neighborhood and finding food for the fridge.


After five days in the guest room at Lucie and Martin’s, I moved into a flat vacated by Martin’s sister Eva, which was my home for the duration of my Brno stay. This was closer to the city center and also a new neighborhood to explore. Fortunately, it was also an easy tram ride to the church to practice organ.


My house number.


View from the front door.


A lavender landmark to find my way home.


Today's lunch specials.


Lentil soup.


Fried steak and new potatoes.


Happened upon the farmers' market.



These got a little jostled on the walk home from the market, so half of them got eaten right away before they could spoil. OMG so tender and flavorful!


My first tram/bus combo trip to the suburbs for shopping. Feeling very accomplished!



OBI unfortunately no longer carries my favorite work overalls that I purchased from them in 2012 and wore enough to wear out in five years. But a collection of 6 employees was able decide and translate for me where the specialty shops are that handle work clothes! Another trip required, but there may even be a choice of colors there!


Continued on to the Brno version of Mall of America.


Very fun pub just across the street from where I am staying.




Some new beers I haven't had before.


Historical recipes served here. I had the first of the three from 1525. Martina, can you translate the spices? Seemed like there was lavender, marjoram and some pepper taste I didn't recognize? From Martina Gurgel: Koury... Sounds like chicken dishes? First one with "Italian" prunes (as you call them in US), raisins, apples and ginger based on recipe if Jan Severin Jr., 1525. In parentheses they add bacon too. Served with roasted bread? Sounds like croutons or a toast... Second is again "koury" in black sauce, based on recipe of alchemist Bavor Rodovsky Je., 1591 (chicken breast, Italian prunes. Again served with... Last is Chicken a la Marengo from 1800, according to the Dunand?, the cook of Napoleon Bonaparte. Napoleon's favorite meal before every battle. Served with a toast and poached eggs or sunny side up?


Here was the presentation of the 1525 recipe. It was very tasty and I hope to be back to try the other two!


Window box in the apartment staircase. Can you find the ripe strawberry?

No comments:

Post a Comment