Thursday, September 14, 2017

July 28, 2017 - Brno


First day of organ practice.


I arrived in Brno ten days before the wedding, and the first week spent about four hours every day working on the organ and figuring out how to get the best possible sounds out of it. I had a chance to work on my travel independence, as I took the tram back and forth to practice, and also went exploring and shopping on my own in Brno when I wasn’t at the church practicing. The layout of Brno is not simple and there is a complex system of trams and buses covering the city and outlying areas. 


Breakfast of Champions - Sachertorte and cappuccino.


Shopped for lunch today. Getting more independent again.



Off to organ practice - first view of the church.


View from the organ loft.


The organ loft.


Individual chairs for each monk when it was a monastery. They each had a carved bust above identifying whose chair it was.


Lion decoration carved at a time when no one here had seen a lion, only read descriptions, so its more like a dog with long hair.


The baroque altar - 1700s






I had to memorize this pattern of switches to know what to turn on and off, since I didn't understand the Czech labels.


 My new home for the week. Two hours today, three more early tomorrow morning, then more to be arranged later.


Brno organ festival from this spring.


Mass schedule at the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment